[Go to top]
Our objectives are:
- To develop direct links between the sustainable organic farming
communities and the urban communities of the Hunter Valley
- To offer farmers fair prices and support them through difficult periods
- To build consumer awareness of sustainable agriculture and empower the community to consume ethically
- To minimise resource consumption and packaging
- To foster community skill sharing
- To create a viable and sustainable community organisation
We have a more specific list of objectives with the priorities that we decided in the Autumn 2006 general meeting. It can be viewed as a PDF file here.
[Go to top]
The beanstalk organic food was established in 2004 by three friends who were concerned at the lack of access to healthy and safe food for the community. Most people they knew cited affordability as the reason they could not eat organically. There was also very little support given to farmers practicing environmentally sound agriculture in the Hunter region, with certification and transportation costs the
main issues for small farm businesses.
The Hunter Valley is a rich and diverse organic agricultural centre, however little of the produce actually gets into Newcastle for a price that is accessible to all. The niche organic market that exists in the region is on the whole out of reach of low-income earners (students, pensioners, single-parent families etc).
A dialogue began with a farmer and the beanstalk organic food
was established. From its humble beginnings on a veranda to its current location in Mayfield, the organisation has flourished. Our members now have access to affordable, healthy and local produce and we support at least four local and sustainable farmers each week. This benefits the Hunter Valley farmers, our urban community and ultimately, our earth. Check this link
to see what NSW legislative council says about us.